Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stepping Stones: Can You Be A Bible?

Transformational Tip
Today is a sad day. A dear person died this past week and I am speaking at the funeral. I've known this person for about 18 months. She is only 24 years old and she recently put her faith in Christ. She was to be baptized tomorrow to proclaim her faith publicly, but instead got the ultimate baptism straight to Jesus' and God's eternal presence.
Even though God's purpose for taking her so young, as she had so much to offer, is a mystery, I do know all her suffering (and she was suffering) is now incredibly healed. She can truly rejoice! I also know that God wants us to go out to proclaim His Gospel and Jesus' ultimate sacrifice for our sin. We have to spread this good news to all, because we don't know the future for those to whom we preach. I am happy I discussed the gospel with her when I did, because I had no idea her death would come so suddenly.
We are all called to be disciples. When Jesus gave the Great Commission to the 12 disciples as recorded in Matthew 28:19-20 he was also speaking to each of us. Of course we are not all evangelists...but once we have "believed and received" Christ, we all receive special gifts, allowing us to do our part to fulfill the Great Commission. Whether you go across the street or to another country, go spread the good news. It's not an option; it is a command for all of us who call Jesus our Lord.
Today, identify several people God has brought into your life so that you could share His good news. Also, prepare yourself for people God will, in the next couple days, bring into your life. If you are looking for a way to take that sometimes difficult first step of overt discussion of God and Jesus, a simple and easy way to begin would be to send the Stepping Stones Devotional to someone who you would want to hear the word of God on a daily basis. Tell them that Stepping Stones is a beneficial message that helps you move closer to the person you want to be and might help them as well and you are interested in their thoughts about it. Encourage them to subscribe and to read the link on Spiritual Basics, especially the one on Salvation. Follow up with them to see what your next role of assistance to them can be.
Remember today as you come in contact with others that you may be the only Bible those folks will ever read. Can you be a Bible?

Prayer
Dear Father God,
As I go forth today, help me further Your Kingdom even in ways that I don't know or understand. I'm not a preacher or a minister, but I do want to help spread Your Holy Word. Dear Lord, use me as Your disciple; fill me with Your Holy Spirit so that I may have the strength and the words to witness for You. I pray, Father, that You let Your light shine brightly through me. Help me be a beautiful example of Your love. Let Your light shine through me so that I may be a Lighthouse for those who need light while in the midst of a storm. Help move me, whether it be across the street or across the globe, to exactly where I need to be to serve You. In the saving name of Jesus - AMEN!

The Truth
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:7-8
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment